Turning off a Fitbit may not be as necessary as it once was, thanks to improvements in battery life, but it’s still important to know how to shut down your device.
Whether it’s to save battery life, get a break from your screen or simply to iron out a software hiccup, turning your Fitbit off and on is relatively simple to do, but it does vary depending on whether you have a Charge, Versa, Ionic, Inspire HR, Ace or Alta.
Read next: More Fitbit help with our FAQ guide
In fact, some Fitbit devices don’t actually let you turn off. So, below, we’ll let you know which do and don’t – and teach you the best available method for switching them off.
How to turn off Fitbit Versa or Ionic
Unlike Fitbit’s trackers, the Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Versa and even Versa Lite Edition can be turned off until you decide to turn them back on – not just to simply restart. To do so, follow the below steps.
- On the watch, open the Settings app.
- From there, tap About > Shutdown > Confirm Shutdown
- To turn the watch back on, press any of the three buttons at any time.
How to turn off Fitbit Charge 2 or Charge 3
Unfortunately, you can’t actually turn off the Fitbit Charge 2 or Charge 3 like you might expect, with Fitbit instead only putting in place a way to restart your tracker. This means that the only way your Charge will turn off and stay is if it runs out of battery, with the method below only temporarily shutting it down.
- If you have a Fitbit Charge 3, swipe to the Settings to the Clock Face and hit the Reboot Device tab. This option isn’t available on the Fitbit Charge 2.
- If your tracker is unresponsive, hold the button to restart your tracker:
- For Charge 2: press and hold the button on your tracker for 4 seconds. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, the tracker has restarted.
- For Charge 3: press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker has restarted.
How to turn off Fitbit Inspire or Inspire HR
Just like the Charge series, you can’t fully shut down your Fitbit Inspire or Inspire HR. You can only turn it off temporarily by restarting the device. Or, you know, running down the battery.
- Connect your Inspire HR or Inspire to its power cable.
- Press and hold the button for five seconds. Keep holding until you see a smiley face and the tracker vibrates.
How to turn off Fitbit Ace
As is the story with the Inspire and Charge series, the Ace can’t be shut down. Instead, you’ll have to restart the Ace to temporarily shut it down. Of course, you can also run down the battery to get it to turn off for good.
- Connect your Ace to its charger.
- Press the button on the charging cable three times, pausing briefly in between each press.
- Once the Fitbit logo appears, it has rebooted. Unplug the charger.
How to turn off Fitbit Alta or Alta HR
Like Fitbit’s other fitness trackers, you can’t actually turn off the Fitbit Alta or Alta HR, and will instead have to put up with just restarting your tracker. In fact, as the Ace is essentially a smaller Alta, the process for restarting the Ace is essentially the same it is on the Alta.
- Put your Alta device on charge.
- Press the button on the charging cable three times, pausing between each press.
- Once the Fitbit logo appears and the tracker restarts, the tracker will have rebooted.